Sunday, December 4, 2011

Butterflies

Mom likes to photograph nature and one of her biggest challenges has been to take pictures of butterflies. It is not impossible, it's just that they dance gracefully while fly around you and it's hard to keep them quiet. Sometimes, my mom has been lucky, and butterflies let us enjoy all their beauty.

The science books explain that butterflies must be called Lepidoptera, which is composed of two Greek words lepis, meaning scale, and pteron, meaning wing. One book says they are holometabolous insects, this is that they move from one stage of development to another, change from embryo, larva, pupa and then, the most beautiful are adults, they fly looking for flowers and of course, we admire so much.

There are different shapes and sizes depending on the region, but some, must fly long distances, such as Monarch butterflies, traveling from Mexico to Canada each year, although many of them begin the journey, there are not the same that reach the goal.

I definitely, could not have been a butterfly!, I do not see how those light wings could keep me on the air!, and no doubt, I prefer to run and sit on my legs than flying from flower to flower, because more than once I have seen butterflies crashing into the windshield of daddy car, pushed by the force of the wind.

I have seen children trying to catch them and there are also natural predators such as lizards, spiders and even cats, which in its attempt to play, can catch them and their fragile wings succumb to the claws of any cat. That's why I do not think I would have been a good butterfly. Even though surely, their parents do not make them eat just to have an insulin dose. But it is not so bad!.

At first,  I did not understand why mom or dad had to inject me on my back, and always after my meals. Suddenly it became important to finish everything they put on my plate, what was going on?. It is true that I was not feeling well, and I lost a lot of weight, and I started to urinate so much that I wet my bed  by  the first time in my life, and I was so tired, even I did not want to walk. That’s the way everything started.

They took me to the doctor and she did not need long time to understand all the symptoms, although the differential diagnosis was a bit contradictory, with the assumption that I was suffering from Cushing's syndrome since some years ago, which is due to a high amount of cortisol in the blood. But the blood test resolved the doubt. The doctor told mom and dad that they should take me to an internist, so I was taken to a hospital closer to home.

My sugar levels were so high that I could have sweetened any person life!. The doctor kept me under observation for several hours and then talked to dad and mom. My doctor explained them that it was diabetes, which is due to a high concentration of sugar in the blood due to a malfunction, which simply stops making a hormone called insulin. That is secreted by cells ẞ in the pancreas. Before letting me go home, a nurse taught them everything about insulin and answered all their questions.

After that, I have blood test every month in the clinic, and my doctor regulates my insulin dose. Sometimes she authorizes to give me one unit more, sometimes she asks to mom or dad to give me a lower dose. But no matter how I should do, everyone is very friendly and always I am declared the sweetest doggy of the clinic. And there is enough evidence that I am!.

My sugar levels are not perfect yet, but they are under control. Sometimes I eat everything on my dish, I try to cheat sometimes, sometimes Champy helps me  ... but only mom and dad have great variety of flavors to offer me and my doctor always has some new suggestions. The only thing that remains stable on the menu is the chicken with rice and carrots. Although, mom cut them in little pieces now.

I have eaten beef, venison, turkey, even dog food specially designed for diabetics, but definitely, nutritionist did not have to taste it. It's disgusting!. There is always an open can in the fridge with leftovers that I do not want to eat. But I’m always ready to try a new flavor, who knows? Maybe I can change one day my chicken and rice!.

That's why I think...  I wouldn't be a good butterfly. They live so little and must eat well to move from one flower to another ... So I just enjoy being a Bubu!.

 If you would like to know more about mom’s writing you can visit her web site: http://www.almadzib.com
Para la versión en español, da click en la parte superior derecha

1 comment: