Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Benny

Nobody can blame Benny for having been born like a cat, being honest; nobody asked me if I wanted to be a dog, I was born just like a Bubu. So when mom told me that I had a brother, I saw no problem ... he is a larger and heavier cat than me and also he does not speak my language.

I used to see pictures of him, I thought we'd get along well, finally we are brothers, but when I got home for the first time after the thrill of hugging my dad, I found Benny on the stairs and his way of saying welcome  home Bubu! it was firm and clear: he slapped me and then ran to hide, I did not know how to react, but eventually we were together.

Mom and dad were worried that he might attack me, but then I started to put borders. I ran after him one time when nobody was looking me, but it was not to attack him, I wanted to give him a hug ... but the language barrier is always a limitation.

Sometimes he used run behind me, sometimes I used to bark to frighten him. It was fun to watch him jump, I like to hide and jump in front of him at the right time.

But gradually we understood each other, we begin with brief encounters at the kitchen, sometimes we can share the bed of our daddies. And needless to say, that when we moved from house, then we all should behave  and care each other, so we make sure we all are  in the car when it starts to move, and we must be confident that our toys and beds are  traveling with us.

We have learned to love us and share many things, for example, we enjoy the time and cares from mom and dad, and we have the same veterinarian, we both have to deal with needles, he must be injected with water on the back because he has a problem with his kidneys. I have seen Daddy talking to our doctor, Benny suffers from kidney degeneration, but he is still with us today.

But life is made of moments, so we enjoyed the most when Benny joins us to look out the window, together, we take care that squirrels do not eat the food of the birds, or when he comes to the kitchen and smells with delight when mom cooks fish.

We are different, but it's the same difference that mom and dad live every day. Those differences that make mexican burgers or american enchiladas. The most important things are not the differences, but the fact we can share the simplest. At the end of the day, it's nice to have company in times of joy, like when our favorite team is winning a game, or when we're waiting for dinner. And needless to say, when mom gets back home after long journeys. We are all one

The differences are just a label that people invent for fear of the unknown. I think it's true what an Indian woman told my mom while she was taking care of our garden, "if you take care of the roses they never hurt you." That applies to everyone. IF we accept the differences we can enjoy the coincidences. After all, something we did to occupy the same space and time and perhaps to learn something new. You never know!.


If you would like to know more about mom’s writing you can visit her web site: http://www.almadzib.com
Para la versión en español, da click en la parte superior derecha

No comments:

Post a Comment